For most of the world, the word “football” refers to a game in which two teams kick a spherical ball around with their feet and try to get it in the net of the opposing team. However, in the United States and Canada, “football” means something very different. In American football, two teams compete to get an oval shaped ball into the end zone by passing or running the ball with their hands.
American football started as a mixture of soccer and rugby and was first played in 1869. It wasn’t until the 1800’s that it was shaped into the game we know today, with the help of Walter Camp, also known as the “Father of Football.” Use these football fun facts to impress your friends and family at the next big game!
- The American Professional Football Association wasn’t created until 1920 and a couple years later changed its name to the National Football League (NFL).
- In 1960, the American Football League was created to challenge the NFL, but ten years later in 1970, the AFL and NFL officially merged into one league.
- The first televised football game was on NBC in 1939 between the Philadelphia Eagles and Brooklyn Dodgers.
- Helmets didn’t become a mandatory part of football equipment until 1939.
- A Wilson factory in Ada, Ohio manufactures all of the official NFL footballs.
- Footballs are actually made out of cowhide, even though they are commonly referred to as a “pigskin.”
- The actual shape of a football is a prolate spheroid.
- The two leagues (NFL and AFL) resulted in the creation of one championship game known as the Super Bowl, which was first played in 1967.
- Over 1.3 billion chicken wings and approximately 12.5 million pizzas are eaten on Super Bowl Sunday.
- Other highly consumed Super Bowl game day snacks are chips at around 11 million pounds, pretzels at 4 million pounds, and peanuts at 2.5 million pounds.
Other Fun Facts
- The Green Bay Packers are the only team publicly owned by a corporation.
- Deion Sanders is the only person to ever play in a Super Bowl and World Series game.
- There have been 224 sets of fathers and sons and 348 sets of brothers who have played in the NFL.
As you’re looking for a place to enjoy the next Sunday night football game, stop by Shooters Wood Fire Grill to watch your favorite team play! We have 7 HD TVs and $1 off draft beer, well cocktails, and house wine during Happy Hour, which is every day from 4-6pm and 9pm-close. We also have delicious game day snacks, such as bone in chicken wings with 8 different sauce options, sliders, and chicharones.