Shorter days and cooler temperatures mean that summer is coming to a close and the beginning of fall is just around the corner. At Shooters Wood Fire Grill, we love the beginning of autumn because it brings football season and delicious fall flavors. While pumpkin spice is debatably the most popular fall flavor, there are many other delicious flavors that you can use in your fall recipes.
- Maple – Real maple syrup can be used as a flavorful sweetener in endless recipes, both sweet and savory. It’s a tasty addition to buttermilk pancakes and waffles, maple flavored cakes and desserts, turkeys and hams, and much more!
- Apple –Nothing quite says fall like apple orchards and apple cider. Apple is also another fall flavor that’s good with just about anything. You can make a sweet apple pie dessert, pair it with caramel for a tasty snack, and even add it to pork chops for a sweet and savory mix. There are numerous fall recipe ideas, not to mention all the different types of apples available.
- Butternut Squash – As one of the many orange foods associated with fall, butternut squash can be paired with a variety of flavors and spice profiles. An easy way to prepare butternut squash is to roast it with a little brown sugar. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can also make it into a soup or mac and cheese!
- Cinnamon – This spice can be paired with basically any flavor listed. It’s a great addition to many things including carrots, apples, and pumpkin.
- Pear – Similar to apples, pears can be mixed with a variety of flavors. They’re perfect for baking into desserts like crisps or pies, adding to salad for a sweet and salty combination, or pairing with meats for a unique flavor.
- Cranberry – Although this red dish is more of a wintery flavor, it can also be a fresh addition to your fall cooking. It’s most well-known use is as a sauce for Thanksgiving meals.
- Ginger – As a spicier fall flavor, ginger can be added to sweet and savory recipes. It’s a tasty combination when added to carrots for a little extra flavor, paired with apples for a sweeter profile, and of course used to make delicious gingerbread cookies and cakes.
- Gravy – It’s good any time of the year, but gravy’s an almost essential addition to any meats or roasts during the fall season.
- Pumpkin – A list of fall flavors would be incomplete without pumpkin. There’s not much that can beat a homemade pumpkin pie.
- Nuts – Roasted walnuts, pecans, almonds, and cashews pair well with many fall flavors and are all tasty additions to many dinners and desserts, along with being a delicious snack year around.
- Red wine – Any time of the year is good for drinking wine, but it’s especially good during autumn for mulled wine punches and flavorful sauces.
- Beer – Another drink that’s great year around, however, fall is when the lighter beers of summer are replaced by thicker, darker brews with flavors of pumpkin, oak, vanilla, etc.
These are just a few examples of our favorite fall flavors and fall recipe ideas. Stop by Shooters Wood Fire Grill this autumn to experience our fall dishes, like our braised pork chops with fried Portobello mushrooms, chicken fried steak with rich gravy, and chicken fried chicken with pepper gravy. All of our selections also pair wonderfully with our merlot, Malbec, or cabernet sauvignon fall red wine options.