Mother’s Day is a holiday that many people look forward to and love to celebrate with family members. Mother’s Day is a day to show appreciation to the mothers in your life and give thanks for all that they do for you. Mother’s Day will strike the 100th anniversary of being celebrated in the United States but actually has a long world-wide history which stretches all the way back Ancient Rome and Greece, where people celebrated their different Mother Goddesses. Then in England during the 1600s people celebrated a holiday called Mothering Day. Mothering Day celebrated mothers and children gave small gifts like cakes to their mothers.
It wasn’t until the early 1900s when Mother’s Day found a place on American calendars and became an official holiday. After the death of her mother, Anna Jarvis, became an advocate for a holiday specifically to celebrate and thank mothers everywhere for all they do. In 1908 the first American Mother’s Day celebration occurred at a local church where Anna’s mother had her funeral services. Anna wanted to celebrate the life of her mother and the duties all mothers perform. The holiday caught fire and soon was celebrated in a variety of countries such as China, Japan, Mexico, Canada, and countries throughout South America. It was from the popularity that President Wilson made Mother’s Day an official holiday on the 2nd Sunday of May. Since it has been a popular holiday celebrated throughout the world.
What are you doing this Mother’s Day to show your mother your gratitude? A great way to show your mother how much she means to you is by cooking her a special treat on Mother’s Day. Like those that celebrated Mothering Day, why not give the gift of desserts to your mother this holiday? Below are some tasty treats and ideas to create this Mother’s Day. These are easy dessert recipes and will make any Mother’s Day fun and filling!
One easy dessert recipe that is sure to be a hit on Mother’s Day is this delicious grape salad!
1 pound seedless green grapes
1 pound seedless red grapes
1 Jar marshmallow cream
1 package of softened cream cheese
1 package slivered almonds
1. Remove all the stems from the grapes and place in large bowl.
2. In a bowl add the softened cream cheese and marshmallow cream until it is smooth.
3. Pour this mixture onto the grapes, making sure the grapes are well covered.
4. Mix in the almonds.
You can serve this easy dessert immediately or allow it to refrigerate to set.
Champagne and Strawberries
This is a very easy dessert recipe to celebrate Mother’s Day! It is also a special treat you do not often have, but is sure to be a favorite.
1 pint lemon sherbet
2 pints strawberries, hulled and sliced
2 cups champagne
1. Drop sherbet scoops into glasses.
2. Top with strawberry slices.
3. Pour champagne until glass is filled.
Who wouldn’t love this easy dessert recipe for Mother’s Day? Filled with yummy sweet goodness it is the perfect dish for anyone in the whole family!
1 quart cold milk
2 bananas, chopped
2 packages instant banana pudding mix
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
4 cups heavy cream
1/2 box vanilla wafers – crushed
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 package prepared pound cake, cubed
1. Whisk pudding mix with milk until smooth.
2. Add chopped bananas to mixture.
3. In another bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks are just about to form. Add vanilla and sugar until peaks form. (Do not over-beat…the cream will become lumpy).
4. Layer half the pound cake cubes, half the pudding, half the whipped cream, and half the crushed vanilla wafers in a trifle bowl. Repeat with the remaining cake, pudding, and whipped cream, and top with the remaining crushed wafers. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
These three easy dessert recipes for Mother’s Day will be excellent additions to any meal! Not in the mood to cook? No worries! Stop by Shooters Wood Fire Grill to celebrate Mother’s Day! Shooters Wood Fire Grill has a large variety of menu items from wood-fire grilled steaks, tasty flatbreads, and delicious twists on burgers!