From provolone to cheddar, mozzarella to pepper jack, there are more different types of cheese than most people realize, but everybody loves cheese. It is a delicious part of everyone’s diet and gets added to many popular dishes. But how many cheese facts do you really know? Food trivia is always a hot topic amongst friends and family while hanging out, so check out some of these fun cheese facts and test your knowledge.
- There are over 2,000 different varieties of cheese to this day and the U.S. is the largest producer of that cheese.
- On average, people in the U.S. consume 34 pounds of cheese per person per year, which is more than one full ton of cheese during an average lifetime. The French, however, eat the most cheese at 57 pounds per person a year.
- It takes roughly 10 pounds of milk to make one pound of cheese.
- The most popular type of cheese in the U.S. is mozzarella, followed closely by cheddar.
- Pizza Hut is the largest cheese-using fast food company, which uses approximately 300 million pounds of cheese annually.
- Roughly 20 million metric tons of cheese is produced worldwide each year, with that number increasing rapidly. Talk about a hefty cheese fact!
- Some cheese, like mozzarella, cheddar, swiss, and American, help to prevent tooth decay by helping to promote the flow of saliva, which in turn leads to elimination of sugar and acids from the mouth.
- In addition, cheese also helps to protect tooth enamel and has an antibacterial effect.
- The most stolen food item in the world is cheese.
- And the final piece of food trivia to win the approval of your friends and family: When he was president, Andrew Jackson had a block of cheddar cheese delivered to the White House that was four feet in diameter and two feet thick, weighing nearly 1,400 pounds. He invited 10,000 visitors to the White House to eat it and within two hours they had devoured the entire thing!
Stop on out to Shooters Wood Fire Grill to try cheese on any number of our delicious dishes. You can use some of these food trivia talking points while you wait for your food.